3.15.2014

Book Review | My Three Men by A. Latoya Charlton


Synopsis: There he was; tall with milky skin, blue eyes and blonde hair. Daniel Rodham.  Even voluptuous, audacious, fatshionista Shyanne McKenzie didn’t expect that she would find herself caught up in a love affair at her new job. But this is no ordinary affair she realizes, as her life becomes complicated and twisted when ex-lover Sean Powell and connoisseur, Tyler Morgan, turns it into a ‘love square’.  Without warning, Shyanne finds herself in a world of power, sex, money, love, tragedy, deceit, betrayal and vengeance. Leaving her quirky, smart-ass ways behind, she steps boldly into her newly discovered sophisticated and adroit self playing the game of love for what it truly is; her bitch.


Title: My Three Men
Author: A. Latoya Charlton
Pages: 230
Published: March 14th 2014
Genre: Romance
Format: E-Book (here)
Website:  www.alatoyacharlton.com

Today, I'm so excited to finally tell you'll about My Three Men by A. Latoya Charlton. My Three Men is book that many women can relate to. I must say that I'm not a big book reader, unless it's a text book. This is the first book I've read in a long time that has a character and situations that are so relatable. Shyanne is an average girl who goes through ups and downs in her life and relationships with Daniel, Sean and Tyler, which really makes you think who should she really be with. This book really took me for a ride with a surprise ending that I would of never expected. Like I said, I'm not a big book reader but I loved reading this. Charlton left me wanting more! 

Check out my my interview with A. Latoya below! 

 What books have most influenced your life most? 

Honestly, after I started (reading) the Game of Thrones: A Song of Fire & Ice series by G.R.R Martin, everything else that I've read pretty much went out the window. I'm a huge Fantasy/Medieval person. However, Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden has been my favorite book to date. I love both authors' writing style and the way they use descriptions. You get lost in their worlds and you never want to come back. Or is that just me?


What inspired you to write your first book? 

When I first started writing My Three Men in October 2012, it was just to see if I could actually write a book. At first, I didn't put much time or thought into it, I just wrote. After losing my job in March 2013, I had all the time in the world to write and after I got over my bout of depression, I decided to thrust myself head first into this project and now I'm hitting myself on the arm like "arrgghhh, why didn't you do this sooner?!"
What is the easiest thing about writing?

There is nothing easy about writing. I don't plan or create an outline when it comes to writing...it just comes to me. There are days when I can sit down and get three chapters out the way easily and then there are days, possibly weeks that go by and nothing. The weeks when there is nothing are the weeks I read books that are totally not in the genre I write in and somehow, some way, my creative juices get to flowing again.

Give us an insight into your main character. What does she do that is so special?

Shyanne McKenzie... well she doesn't do anything that makes her special. She is just a normal woman. She struggles like the rest of us. She cries like the rest of us. Shyanne is headstrong, she stands her ground and doesn't let anyone take advantage of her. She's a sucker for romance but has been hurt so many times, she doesn't trust easily. She's a girl with big dreams but after all is still a normal girl. 

Did you learn anything from writing your book and what was it?

I learned a few things; there is always room for improvement. I learned patience. I also learnt words I've never heard before like vituperation. 

How much of the book is realistic? 

Now you know a girl can't kiss and tell ;)

What was the hardest part of writing your book? 

I'd say the process of editing. Going over what you had already written which you thought was perfect to begin with and having someone come back and say "oh hey, maybe you should omit this entire page and make it more interesting" and you're like...WHAT?!  I know I'm creative but damn! Then you have to hand the manuscript back in and hope to the heavens that you don't see a page filled with red ink when you get it back.
Were there any challenges in bringing it to life? 

Of course! Nothing great comes easy and I'm not just tooting my own horn here. I'm sure others can attest  to that. The cover of course was the main challenge. I think I went to about four different graphic artists/illustrators before I decided to change the original concept. Fortunately, I was able to find someone to take it on in such a short notice and I think she did a fabulous job!

Do you have anything specific that you want to say to your readers? 

Oh my gosh, readers. That's sort of crazy...to have readers. Hi sweethearts!!! Well, let's see... Live your dreams. As cliché as that may sound, live your dreams. There are so many people out there stuck and depressed and beating themselves up because they choose not to get out there and do what makes them happy. I'm not saying up and quit your job and travel the world because that obviously requires money but bit by bit...plan and live your dream. The only person holding you back, is you. So get out there and live a little, you little rebel you!

What's even better, one lucky reader is going to get the chance to win a copy of My Three Men, a Kindle Paperwhite and also choose one of Shyanne's favorite MAC lipsticks to win (Media, Cyber, Heroine, Rebel, Desire and Dark Side). Good Luck!



a Rafflecopter giveaway

  You can purchase the book here!

4 comments:

  1. This book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm, If you like it, it must be good. What a great giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, your the best! If you have any questions email me at askme.soaf@hotmail.com. Thanks!